Effective July 1, 2006
Legislation was passed and implemented regarding the recording of instruments. This legislation pertains to reviewing documents presented for recording.
Responsibilities of the preparer or reviewer prior to recording:
- A document may not be submitted to the County Recorder for recording or filing that contains a Social Security number unless required by law. IC 36-2-7.5-4
- The preparer must make the statement required by IC 36-2-11-15(c), identifying the name of the preparer on all instruments not exempted under IC 36-2-11-15(a).
- Any document having a prepared by statement must also have the affirmation statement listed IC 36-2-11-15(d). The affirmation statement must be exactly as quoted in the statue.
- “I affirm, under the penalties for perjury, that I have taken reasonable care to redact each Social Security number in this document, unless required by law.”
(Signed, printed or stamped name of individual)
The following documents are exempt from the above requirement:
- Writ of a Court
- Federal Tax Lien
- Federal Lien Release
- Any documents prepared or acknowledged outside of Indiana