Veterans Affairs Office

Veterans Services




The County Veterans' Service Officer (VSO) works under the direct supervision of the Director of the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs (IDVA), although the VSO is appointed and paid by the county. The service officer must have served at least 6 months of active military service in the armed forces. The service officer must attend an annual training conference, normally conducted in June, to receive update training and to re-certify as competent as a service officer.


Click here to see Bio for Mike Spidel


The primary function of the service officer is to assist veterans, their dependents, and survivors, in obtaining the state and federal benefits to which they may be entitled.  In that capacity, the service officer will help with the completion of federal and state applications for those benefits.  The service officer can set up benefit briefings with veterans and their families to explain all that is available.   For those individuals who are unable to travel, home visits can be arranged.


Veterans have an immense number of services and programs available to them.  However, navigating through them can be overwhelming due to constantly changing conditions.  The Boone County Veterans’ Officer can assist veterans and others with all of these programs / services.  The following programs and services are but a few with which the VSO can provide assistance:


  • Burial Claims (federal and county

    • Burial in a National Cemetery

    • Burial marker requests

    • Burial flag

    • Presidential and Governor’s memorial certificates

    • Burial allowances

  • Disability Claims

    • Survivor pensions (aid and attendance).

    • Non-service connected pension (aid and attendance).

    • Other benefits

  • Education Programs

    • Application for educational benefits

    • Application for vocational programs

    • Applications for apprenticeship OJT (On the job training).

    • Survivors and Dependents Assistance

  • Health Care

    • Application to veterans home (West Lafayette Indiana).

    • Access to VA Medical Center

    • My Health @ Vet

  • Military Records

    • Replacing discharge papers   

    • Requesting other military records   

  • Other Available Programs / Services

    • Filing for disabled veterans tax abatement program   

    • Reduced-fee hunting and fishing licenses for Disabled Veterans (DAV)

    • Special veterans license plates  
    • Applying for military family relief fund and other financial assistance

Mike Spidel

Veterans Affairs Service Officer

220 West Washington St

Suite B101

Lebanon, IN 46052

Office Hours

Office hours are by appointment only