Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs



Q1. How do I file charges against someone?

Criminal charges generally begin with an investigation by a police agency, or by a Citizen complaint. The Boone County Prosecutor's Office will conduct investigations regarding Bad Checks through our Bad Check Program. However, most other criminal activity will be referred to a police agency. Our office victim/witness coordinator, Tracey Christner, will assist persons in determining the appropriate agency to make a report.

Q2. How do I get a Restraining Order

The Boone County Prosecutor's Office will obtain a Restraining or Protective Order for the victims of violent crime as part of filing charges. Where appropriate, witnesses will also be covered by protective orders. Without the filing of charges, or where no crime of violence is involved, a private citizen can obtain a Restraining Order through the Boone County Clerk, whose offices are located in the Courthouse in Lebanon. The Clerk has an information packet that will assist a person to obtain a Restraining Order. There is a Court cost that must be paid as part of filing for a Restraining Order through the Clerk. 

Q3. My husband/boyfriend was arrested for domestic battery, but we just had a misunderstanding and I want to drop charges. What do i do?...

Once a police agency is contacted regarding the commission of the crime, and charges are filed, the case becomes the property of the Boone County Prosecutor's Office. Our office policy is that once a person is charged, they are prosecuted, regardless of whether the victim has changed his/her mind.

Q4. What is the status of my husband's case? Can you tell me my next court date?

Your best source of information regarding future Court dates is your attorney, or the Court itself. Court schedules are created by the Court staff, and are subject to change; the Court possesses the most current information on its own calendar. 

Q5. I got a subpoena in the mail. Why do I have to testify...this is really inconvenient for I get paid?

Witnesses to crimes are required to appear personally in Court to tell what happened. Although it may be inconvenient, the cornerstone of a free society is the willingness of persons to appear in Court so that the truth about a crime can be known. Witnesses are not usually compensated for lost wages or other incidental expenses involved in testifying, but each case is different. 

Q6. Can I talk to the Prosecutor about my case?

That depends. Are you a victim or a defendant? Prosecuting attorneys are ethically forbidden to speak with defendants about their cases, except to offer a plea if the defendant does not have an attorney; the only exception is in the Courtroom when the Judge is presiding over the case. If you are a victim, you are entitled to, and should be able to speak to the Prosecuting Attorney handling the case. However, Prosecutors have many other cases to handle, and while your case is important to our office, you should keep in mind that the Prosecuting Attorney's time is his or her most cherished asset. Please keep your inquiries brief and to the point. 

Q7. Can I get a Prosecutor's explanation of a law or get legal advice from a Prosecutor?

The office of the Prosecuting Attorney will give legal advice on criminal matters to police agencies. The Boone County Prosecutor's Office cannot give legal advice on civil matters; all civil legal questions should be referred to a competent private attorney. 

Todd J. Meyer


220 West Washington St.

Lebanon, IN 46052

Office Hours

Monday - Friday

8am - 4pm

Staff Directory