What it means to Volunteer
Court appointed special advocate means a community volunteer who:
- Has completed a training program approved by the court
- Has been appointed by a court to represent and protect the best interests of a child
- May research, examine, advocate, facilitate, and monitor a child's situation.
- Abide by the National, Indiana and Boone County GAL/CASA Code of Ethics.
- Review all pertinent records to the case.
- Attend all court hearings pertaining to the case.
- Prepare written reports to the court with recommendations on what placement and services are for the child’s best interests, maintaining integrity and objectivity.
- Conduct an independent, objective investigation interviewing appropriate parties, agencies, school sources and service providers, and the child or children to make recommendations in the best interest of the child / children.
- Assist in facilitating appropriate services for the duration of the litigation.
- Monitor the child / children on a regular basis (a biweekly visit is suggested as a minimum) to insure appropriate services, including reasonable efforts, are being provided to the child / children and family, and that court orders are being followed and that an appropriate Permanency Plan is in place.
- Attend team meetings/case conferences with DCS, schools, and service agencies to ensure the best interests of the child / children are met.
- Maintain written records of the case including appointments, interviews, and information gathered about the child / children and the child / children’s life circumstances.
- A volunteer may monitor a visitation for the purpose of Court reporting.
- A volunteer must commit to serving the Boone County Guardian ad Litem/CASA program for a period of at least one year.
- A volunteer must sign an Oath of Confidentiality and be sworn in by the Boone County Circuit Court Judge.
- A volunteer must notify the CASA Program immediately of any criminal charges.
- A volunteer must follow child abuse reporting procedure as outlined in this manual.