A substance commonly found within a residence that is determined hazardous due to its makeup and properties. (i.e. flammable, corrisive, toxic, etc.)
Examples of HHW include, but are not limited to:
Adhesives, Aerosol Cans, Air Fresheners, Ammonia, Antifreeze, Bathroom Cleaners, Brake Fluid, Carpet Cleaners, Chlorine Bleach, CFL's, Detergents, Fire Extinguishers, Floor Wax, Fluorescent Light Tubes, Furniture Polish, Gasoline, Glue, Herbicides, Insecticides, Lead Acid Batteries, Lighter Fluid, Elemental Mercury, Moth Crystals, Used Cooking Oil, Used Motor Oil, Oven Cleaners, Paint (Oil Based), Paint Strippers, Paint Thinners, Pesticides, Pool Chemicals, Small Propane Tanks, Rock Salt, Stain Removers, Thermostats, Thermometers, Wood Stains & Wood Varnishes.
2015 Annual Household Hazardous Waste
Collection & Electronics Recycling Events:
Saturday, April 25, 2015 from 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. at the Boone County Highway Department located at 1955 Indianapolis Ave in Lebanon.
Saturday, August 22, 2015 from 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Zionsville. Site to be announced at a later date.
The current Household Hazardous Waste Day Flyer is located at the bottom of the page. Please feel free to make additional copies and distribute to your friends and neighbors.
HHW Voucher Program (Inter-local Agreement-Marion County Tox Drop Sites)
WE ARE NOT ISSUING VOUCHERS MARCH THROUGH AUGUST DUE TO THE PROMOTION OF OUR HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE COLLECTION EVENTS. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT THE DISTRICT OFFICE.
This program enables a Boone County resident to dispose of their HHW at one of the Marion County Tox Drop Sites. BCSWMD covers the per vehicle charge for this service; therefore we ask that each resident utilize the service responsibly. Please consider all the following:
1. All Marion County Tox Drop participants must recieve a voucher from the BCSWMD before they utilize the service in Marion County.
2. All HHW must be from a residence. No business waste will be accepted.
3. Disposal limits are 20 gallons of liquid waste or 75 lbs of solid waste. Please maximize the BCSWMD funds by taking multiple items in one trip.
4. Please note that latex paint is not hazardous and can be disposed of in your household trash if dried out properly.
5. All electronics are accepted at our annual events. If BCSWMD events' timing is not convenient. Goodwill will accept electronics for recycling at no charge, year round.
Marion County Locations and Times:
Traders Point 7550 N Lafayette Rd, Indianapolis
Open the 1st Saturday of the month from 9 am until 2 pm.
Perry Township Govt Ctr 4925 S. Shelby Street, Indianapolis
Open the 2nd Saturday of the month from 9 am until 2 pm.
IMPD Training Facility 9049 E 10 St., Indianapolis
Open the 3rd Saturday of the month from 9 am until 2 pm.
West Street Collection Facility 1725 S West St Bldg #1 Indianapolis
Open Tues/Thurs 9 am until 11 am.